Eisco Carbonaceous Shale Specimen (Sedimentary Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm)
- Carbonaceous shale sample approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Carbon within sample indicates it was deposited in an anoxic environment, such as the deep sea
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- Fossils may be contained within the samples, offering students an opportunity to investigate
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
- Average Specimen Size - 2-3 cm
Shale is formed from the cementation and lithification of very small grains of rock, commonly mud or clay. The black color of the rock indicates an organic-rich composition. Black shale can contain trace amounts of oil, and is studied heavily for this reason. Shale is useful in sedimentary rock identification exercises due to its recgonizable fissile habit.