Eisco Basalt Specimen (Igneous Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm) - Pack of 12
- Twelve basalt samples approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Aphanitic volcanic rock forms from effusive eruptions, such as the shield volcanoes of Hawaii, or the deep ocean floor
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- Students can recreate the cooling history of this sample based on the texture and abundance of phenocrysts
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
- Average Specimen Size - 2-3 cm
Basalt makes up the vast majority of the earth's oceanic crust. Formed quickly from an iron-rich magma, basalt exhibits a dark color and small crystal size. This sample is a perfect example of an aphanitic igneous rock, making it valuable when teaching lessons on igneous rock classification and identification.