Eisco Biotite Gneiss Specimen (Metamorphic Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm) - Pack of 12
- Biotite gneiss sample approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Ideal for students learning about differential stresses and foliation in metamorphic rocks
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- To achieve its characteristic banding, gneiss must be exposed to immense heat and pressure, and forms deep below the earth
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
- Average Specimen Size - 2-3 cm
Gneiss is a high-grade metamorphic rock formed from other rocks undergoing alteration from intense heat and pressure. The minerals in the rock become foliated, and can result in alternating light and dark bands. This rock sample is great for demonstrating metamorphic properties and can be used most effectively in lessons about the rock cycle, as well as metamorphic rock identification.