Eisco Breccia Specimen (Sedimentary Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm)
- Breccia sample approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Large clasts within a cement matrix are great for students learning sedimentary rock classification and identification
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- Poorly sorted and rounded clasts indicate deposition in a river near the clast source
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
- Average Specimen Size - 2-3 cm
The large, angular clasts in breccia make it possible to confidently ascertain the depositional history of the rock. The nature of these grains imply that they have not undergone much alteration, and have not traveled far from their source. This contrasts well with conglomerate, a very similar rock with clasts that have traveled a long ways from their provenance.