Eisco Argillaceous Shale Specimen (Sedimentary Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm)
- Argillaceous shale sample approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Small clast size indicates deposition in a low-energy environment such as a shallow lake or slow-moving river
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- Ideal for students in identification exercises due to shale's diagnostic flat, fissile rock structure
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
Shale is formed from the cementation and lithification of very small grains of rock, commonly mud or clay. The small clast size indicates that though the grains had been heavily eroded, the rock formed in a low energy environment. Shale is useful in sedimentary rock identification exercises due to its recognizable fissile habit. This sample is also available in packs of 12.