Eisco Bituminous Coal Specimen (Sedimentary Rock), Approx. 1" (3cm) - Pack of 12
- Twelve bituminous coal samples approximately 1" (3cm) in size
- Bituminous coal is mined heavily around the world
- Perfect size for use in classroom identification labs and exercises, correlates well to Next Generation Science Standards Evidence Statements
- Students can get a close look at a material that powers the world
- Specimen comes in clear labeled and barcoded bag for ideal storage
- Average Specimen Size - 2-3 cm
Coal is formed in anoxic environments from compressed organic matter, and is used worldwide as a fuel source. Bituminous coal has a vitreous sheen, distinguishing it from other coals and sedimentary rocks. Coal is useful as a marker for how much compression was needed to create it, and for learning about the unique anoxic conditions under which it formed.